In the U.K, the seniors often dance in the prom which is called a “school disco” started from the 1970s. It often deed at the end of the ceremony. Though it has no any meaning, it is interested by the most students.
In Germany, students usually organize some activities that tend to make fun of teachers, or do some speech about their favorite teachers. It’s impressing, whereas I surprisingly found that alcohol is available at these events since the legal drinking age in Germany is 16.
In the United States, some high schools only allow Senior to have a prom. Some schools also allow juniors to hold a prom, and select high schools even hold proms for freshmen and sophomores.
In India and Nepal, the alike to some extent is a farewell party or farewell gathering. The outgoing students are given a warm send-off by the junior students and staff. All the seniors are felicitated with souvenirs and superlatives are given awards. I think we should study those traditions for having more fun in the prom.
Last year's prom
- We all had to be dressed up like suit or dress or whatever. Most of the senior attended the prom, also some of high school students and even 6 middle school students because there weren’t prescribed number of people. After arrived there, we just sat on our seats and some minutes later, we started the dinner. And when we almost ate dinner, Junior and some high school students read their letters to seniors. And then we had 3 activities which were following dances, pop balloons, and push-ups.
- Thus, we did some interview some people who went to last year prom.
Beforehand interview----We randomly chose some participants to talk about the prom.
1. Denali: “I’m not sure whom I will go with. I expect there would be some interesting activities to enjoy, because the prom last year was so boring. I only thought when I could go home during the whole party. I was really sad about that.”
2. Alex: “I will go to the prom with Soo Jeong. In the ceremony, I want to watch them dancing, especially Mr. P’s dancing ;)”
3. Kian: “I will go to the prom alone this year, and I don’t expect anything exciting because last year’s prom was pretty unsatisfactory, especially the food. I hope there will be some really interesting activities and tasty food. I wish this year’s will be the greatest one.”
4. Rose:” I will go there with my friend from another school, and same as Kian, I expect there will be much more delicious food than last year’s. For games, I want to play the actual casino :) Moreover, I want really nice music to listen there!”
Mr. Thorpe prohibited the students below grade 9 to go to the prom, so some students are waiting for the next year’s prom now.
Audrey: “Though I feel a little disappointed, I don’t really care about it. Now, I expect to go to the prom next year! If my friends plan to participate, of course I’m going. I will wear pretty dress, play interesting games, and dance. Just like a party!”
We also asked Mr. Thorpe,”Mr. Thorpe, why can’t the students below grade 9 go to the prom?”
“I think the prom in QISS is for Junior and Senior students. However, because we don’t have enough people to join in, we extend the limitation for upper school students. For the students below grade 9, I think they are too young to join the upper school ceremony. Although only one year gap between grade 9 and 8, the seniors are 5 years older than them. I consider that the students below grade 9 would not really be involved in the prom. This is why I prevent them to go to the prom.”
So, most of the people who went to prom last year was bored and was not fun. They expect more fun activities and stuff for this year prom. As they said, school counselors prepared a lot for this year prom. You will see next time!